I’m Julia Preston, principal of 129 Communications.
I’m a writer, editor and strategist who loves words. I love the challenge of putting words together to create a picture, an emotion, understanding or action.
Engaging people through communications means I’m always focused on helping clients achieve their goals.
So what’s with the 129?
129 is where I get my energy and inspiration. Quite simply, 129 is home. Not my address. My acreage.
I live on a 129-acre farm in Hamilton, Ontario with my husband, baby daughter, our rescue dog and the #worldsbestbarncat.
Much of my writing comes from the things I’m passionate about:
- Home renovation
- Sustainability (solar panels, geothermal, homegrown food and conserving our wetlands and forests are all part of daily life)
- Real estate
- Finances and budgeting
- Animal care, behaviour and training
… just to list a few.
Want to know more? Here’s me by the numbers:
- 20 years of professional communications experience.
- Edited 7 publications–an industrial trade publication, a community newspaper, an alumni magazine, newsletters both print and email.
- 9 years managing a personal blog focused on DIY home renovation and country living.
- Tripled media coverage for the DeGroote School of Business at McMaster University and made the business school the second most visible faculty at McMaster and in the top five schools in Canada.
- Led communications strategy for $130-million fundraising campaign at Wilfrid Laurier University.
- Oversaw websites and social media for Development & Alumni Relations at Wilfrid Laurier University and the DeGroote School of Business at McMaster University. Managed two comprehensive web redesigns, including new content management systems, e-commerce, event calendar and registration, email marketing, restructuring information architecture and full content update.